Joining data, housed in two or more disparate applications, is easy with Popdock. This eliminates the need for complex SQL queries or vlookups in Microsoft Excel. All that is required is a common unique identifier on both lists. Follow these steps to join lists.
A joined list combines the data of two lists by using a unique identifier. For the join to work properly each unique identifier from one list must match to the same unique identifier in the joining list.
In this example we will be joining two lists from Close.io, Contacts list and Email Addresses list. Both lists contain the unique identifier, Contact ID. Even though both lists contain the same unique identifier, you cannot join this data in the Close.io application. Popdock takes the raw data from Close.io and displays it in lists. Since these lists contain the unique identifier, Contact ID, Popdock is able to match on that identifier to join the two lists. The results are similar to using a SQL query to join data from two tables.
The steps below detail how to join these lists using the Custom List feature.
First, you will create the Joined List Container. Next, you will select which lists you will be joining. Finally, you will configure your joined list to show the data important to you.
1. Click on your “Home” tab.
2. Then click on “Connectors” on the left navigation under Start.
3. Next click on the edit icon next to the connector that you would like the joined list to show up under.
Select the Connector you view as the ‘master’ source of data for your joined list. In this example, I will select Close.io since both of the lists are in the same Connector.
4. Now you click on “Lists” on the left navigation menu.
5. Your default lists available for the connector are listed on the List page. In addition, you have a Custom lists section. If you have not created a custom list for this connector yet, you will have the four links as options as shown here in the first image. Click the option that says “Click here to add a custom list that joins multiple lists”. If you have already created custom lists for the connector you will see your custom lists here and a “+ Add custom list” button. Click the “+ Add custom list” and choose “Merge lists” from the dropdown. For more information on each type of list, please see the following Knowledge Base article: “Getting to know custom lists.”
6. Now you are ready to create your Joined List. Start by completing the List settings:
When naming your list, it is recommended that you develop a naming convention for your lists such as: Date, Description, Use, Initials for future reference/use. For example: “Close.io_Join_Contacts+Emails_March2018_JB”
The data you input on this screen will save automatically.
7. Now you will select which lists you will join. Next click on “Joined lists” on the left navigation menu.
8. Now click on the link “Click here to add a list”. A window will pop-up where you will select the first list. In our example, this would be the Contacts List. Complete the drop downs for the Connector, Group, and List. Then click the “Add list” button.
Now you will see the first list added.
9. Click on “+ Add list” to add the second list. In our example, that list is Email Addresses. Choose the Connector and List you will be joining. Next select the list that you are joining it with in the “Join to list” drop down. In our example, that is the Contacts List we added in the previous step. The next two drop down options identify the unique identifiers in both lists. The “Join from field” will be the field “Contact ID” and the “Join to field” will be “Contact ID” for this example. Now click “Add list”.
You should see both lists you added plus the “Linked to list”, “Linked to connector” which is populated for the second list you added.
10. Next you will add the fields you want displayed on the joined list.
In this example, we are keeping it simple and choosing to add only the Contact ID and Name.
11. Now you will add the fields from the second list that you joined. Click the “+ Add fields” link, choose the second list and select the fields to add. Then click “Add fields”.
You will now have the list of fields that will be available on the joined list. Popdock shows the “From list” for each field to confirm the correct data will be displayed on the joined list. You can edit the Field name if desired.
12. After you have completed adding fields, you can now set your default fields for your list so that they automatically show when you add your new compare list to a new tab. From the breadcrumbs, click on the connector name to go back to the edit options for the connector.
13. Click Fields in the Left Navigation.
14. From the “Select list” drop down, choose the name of the joined list you just created and select which fields you would like to see as the default.
After you selected your default fields, your list is ready to be used.
15. Click the “+ Add new tab” button > Click the “Add” button.
You have now created a joined list. You can filter, sort, export, or take action from your report.